Monday, June 23, 2008

7 or 11?

There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. -Romans 3:10-12


At the moment that I came to Christ I declared spiritual bankruptcy. Totally broke and unable to pay my way. But what kind of bankruptcy was it? Chapter 7 or Chapter 11? When you file for chapter 11 bankruptcy you are forgiven of your "current debt" and allowed to reorganize your finances in hope that you can do better in the future, one day able to stand on your own successfully. Chapter 7 however requires you to admit that your business venture was a complete failure and you must permanently close your doors. Never to open again.

As I understand salvation, I would say that I have filed chapter 7 bankruptcy as I know that:

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. -Ephesians 2: 8,9
But do I really believe that? When I fall back into a sin of the past, or fail to move in an area that I know God wants me to, am I confident in my faith. Confident to share the gospel. Full of the joy of my god? Able to worship in spirit and in truth? I don't think I am living my life with that Blessed Assurance that I have permanently filed bankruptcy now and forever solely depending upon God's grace for my every breath, thought and action.

I propose instead that I have filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy where Christ has forgiven my debt, but as a Christian I am going to reorganize my life and "try harder" the next time to be successful. God has pointed out my mistakes, shouldn't I be able to learn from them?

We have all become like one who is unclean, and all of our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment -Isaiah 65:4
Yes, by his grace we should learn, but without his grace we will never succeed. We can never step away from the power of his grace. This is when we stumble.


Lord I pray that you show me your grace today. Give me a sure path and help me not to stumble. Give me your clear direction and the power to move. Most of all Lord, raise me up and move me. Reign in me today.

No comments: